Friday, April 25, 2008

Glutinous Rice

It started with me being a cheapo and buying 2kg of glutinous rice jus to make lor mai kai/nuo mi ji in 2006. make I did, in 2007. and now there’s still like 1.5 kg left and before it starts to rot, I need to make use of it. Some recipes I considered:

Seri muka


one problem- I cant get pandan leaves…well I suppose I can go find green artificial colouring and pandan extract which should be available in some isolated Asian shophalf way across Perth. A super easy recipe here, using MICROWAVE..hi-tech no?
(edit: or I can jus use kaya…OMG..super genious)

Sushi
Ya, normally you would use short grain or middle (length) grain, but can u use glutinous rice? Combine with santan or sth else to make it sticky and add stuff inside and roll…OR mayb I can jus get the recipe from above to make sweet rice balls with seaweed…o.0..
(edit: called origini sorry onigiri!)



Bak Chang..

OMG…I super want to make this if I hv the chance…if only I can get hold of bamboo leaves/pandan leaves…and a super big pot..recipe here in case I want to make
端午节quick quick come

Eight treasure rice
Didn’t quite know abt it until I read on wiki that it’s popular in m’sia but don’t think I’ll be cooking it anytime soon…I need (breathe-in): …actually I can get most of the stuff except lotus seed and bamboo shoot (I know u can get it from cans and packets) …sigh

If only I can turn glutinous rice into glutinous rice FLOUR
then I can make:

Nin ko/ Nian gao
Muachee/mochi

Kiuh koci

Ang Ku Kuih (especially with peanut+sugar filling)

Onde-onde (omg..with the gula melaka flowing out when u bite it…oooooo)

Ping Pei (snow-skin) Mooncake (arghhhhhhh I wan)

I seriously cant visit food blogs...my room is flooding

All the photos are not taken by me and credits must go the rightful owner (which is too much to list here)

3 comments:

Bao Bao said...

You can get pandan leaves From the oriental shops at Northbridge... Saw it there before... But it's those dry ones if I'm not wrong... Worth a shot though =p

Maddy said...

OMG Liong! if u make muachee & ang ku kuih, i'll come visit u straight away!! haha..

Anonymous said...

uikz.. liongtze, i want one of anything you make since you make me hungry with ur post :P