Monday, June 30, 2008

A help in need

I ran as fast as I could to the bus station. My handphone showed 9.50pm.
Shit I’m going to miss the bus. Just like that old woman.
Yes, that old woman. Guilt suddenly flow through my body.
I still cant believe myself. Something so simple yet I do not have the courage to do it. Or maybe deep down I just cant be bothered. I was walking down London Court, walking towards the bus stop to catch my bus to work. Then this lady caught my eye. Old. Dragging a luggage in one hand and corica’s apple strudels maybe in another one. She was walking very slowly, sightseeing perhaps. That was the excuse I gave. Well I’m pretty sure a lot of people heard of the story of a boy who helped an old lady to cross a road when the old lady didn’t actually wanted to. He was thunder-strucked. Ok, fine he wasn’t. So I told myself I will help her to carry her stuff onto a bus if I can. Coz somehow she looks familiar. Ok mayb all old people look alike. But I’m pretty sure I helped her last yr or sth to get onto a bus and off.
I kept on walking, glancing back jus to see how she going. It’s not like I m rushing or something but I still kept walking.
Later she appeared at another bus stop close to mine. Tough luck, I thought. Obviously she’s catching another bus but somehow something kept telling me she wanted to come to my stop. Maybe it’s her still holding her luggage in a dragging motion and her keep looking over to my stop.
But my bus came. I boarded sat down and looked out the window at the old woman.
Then everything happened so fast..

Ok I can turn this into a fiction and say that the old woman got hit by the bus which would definitely make a much bigger impact but no, that didn’t happen.

She reached out her hands to hail the bus when the bus passed by her stop. But the bus didn’t stop maybe because it wasn’t the stop for this bus or maybe the driver didn’t notice. I wanted to shout out to ask the driver to stop but somehow I jus froze. The bus drove off, leaving the lady. Smiling, as if laughing at her own bad luck…that’s another 30 minutes of wait if she has to catch the same bus.

If only I had helped…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nt your fault actually..maybe she didnt really want to catch that bus leh..u nv knw arh..

may

Anonymous said...

but she was looking at bus and trying to ask it to stop...mmm...but anyway...it's long over now...don care anymore...hahaha