Monday, November 26, 2007

Old stuff

Sorry ppl…this post will be old boring stuff I scribbled down in word doc and now I m posting it up……

(Wrote this while I was researching for my thesis essay for one of my unit- Human vestigialities- A vestige. Only posted this up now coz I was a bit afraid that the lecturer would think my essay is too good for someone with low standards like me and go search if I copied my essay from anywhere (they actually have softwares to do that, for plagarism). Hopefully I didn’t go out of topic…I was trying to write an essay on human useless body parts but end up saying that the idea of these body parts being useless is well useless…o.O…if you are interested to know more, I can show u….as if you would be…lol)

Omg…I m so addicted to this theory of Darwin thing…the debate between whether Darwinism is true is very interesting…I think we are all quite familiar with the theory of Darwin ..well the basic ideas.
But I saw this website (while looking for information for my essay on ‘vestigial body parts’, which I now think is a total crap)…it refutes Darwinism in a logical way, providing strong evidence and views from experts from their respective fields (I spent the night reading through it, very interesting, not too scientific-sounding). Now thinking back to a question my friend asked me a few months ago: Do u believe in evolution? (I was doing an essay on human evolution for another unit) And my answer was yes, but I still think that there’s a divine power behind the whole evolution (since it’s too random even for nature itself). One example was, how can a cell form by chance. If you studied cell biology (yes cell not human biology), u would know that it’s one of the most complicated system human ever encountered. All the proteins in one cell, only functioning with the correct type of amino acid and correct sequence and orientation, which is supposed to have occured by chance. An average protein with 288 amino acid has 100000000…(>30 zeros behind) possibilities of combination (of 20 amino acids) and only one works.
Anyway, where was i? Oh yes. As we learnt more and more in cell biology, the intercellular networking is just impossibly impossible. The network, how one affect the other, how one controls the other protein or even a few proteins come together to protect the cell itself all in one cell, is jus ‘wow’. So now, as I was saying, my view was Theistic evolution (which generally views evolution as a tool used by God (I like the way they put it)) but now it’s sort of going towards Old Earth Creationism. But still wondering, what do other religions view the origin of human…that would be quite interesting. And do u know the Bible and the Quran both actually has a lot similarities in term of characters and events. (and I spent like 20 mins reading the article in wiki) I used to not really believe in the whole religion thing, but still believe in God. I always thought that religion was a good lie (referring to all the events that was in the ‘books’), and in fact a perfect white lie to give people hope and strength. A good thing still. I might get bombed saying that aloud I think…lol.

the ultimate human evolution


taken here

---------------------------------------

Random stuffs in my group note…made me laugh during times of despair revision

>The fluid surrounding the baby, amniotic fluid is mostly diluted urine. Throughout the life of the baby in the uterus, it’s swallowing the urine excreting and swallowing it again ….YUCK!!

>Net filtration pressure (in the glomerulus) must be small positive figure
- if negative = no filtration = no urine formation = OMG!

>Without autoregulation
- increased mean arterial pressure (MAP) from 100-123 mmHg would increase GFR
- e.g. filtration of 180 L/day à 225 L/day and urine flow of 1.5 L/day à 46.5 L/day = OMG @!#!%^#!& fluid and salt loss!!!!!!!!!

>But in mammals it is another one of those ‘evolutionary junk’.( Man if he din go on about the evolutionary junk so much, we would have finished this lecture in 15 minutes.)

>Stretch receptors detect filling of bladder, transmit afferent signals to the spinal cord and pons
(Occurs when the bladder is about 200mL)

Signals return to the bladder from spinal cord via parasympathetic fibres in the pelvic nerve




Efferent signals excite detrusor muscles and relax internal urethral sphincter.
(Urine is released unless inhibited by the brain)


SOMETIMES…..

The micturition centre in pons tell the bladder not to pee because you are making a speech in front of hundreds of people.

External urethral sphincter contractsà no urinary flow

i like the big arrows...:)


-------------------------------------------

There was a large crowd gathering at the gate. Friends and family members were there to bid farewell to everyone there. It may be the last time before they step in through the gate. And then, the gate was activated. Kisses on foreheads were given. Lucky charms switched owners. Promises were made.

Slowly, one by one, we all walked through the portal gate, sending us straight to the war zone. It was somewhat surreal. It’s right here and right now. Somehow, the future is vague. This is what I have been training for. But none of the stimulation combats had prepared me well enough for the size of this war.

We all synchronized our watches and went to our own position as planned before. I took out my name badge and wore it as that would be the only form of identification of dead bodies. I took out my weapon, double-checking it as it will determine whether I’ll live through the war or not.

This is not a normal war but a war with oneself. And this makes it all the harder. I tried to remember back all the tactics, techniques and tricks that I’ve learnt all these while. But everything seemed so blur. I doubt that I am prepared for this war even though my trainers said that I am. But alas, what will come, will come eventually.

As I sat there quietly, I wield my weapon tightly in my hands, just waiting for the general’s signal to start attacking. I said a little prayer. There’s no turning back. This is it. God bless us all.
And he shouted out, exam starts now…

------------------------------------------------

‘On the count of three, catch me- if not, she’ll hv a hard time. Ready, 1, 2, 3..’
‘No, wait…’
Dum…
‘Crap…’ said the ovum as it lies in the peritoneal cavity looking up at the fimbraie.
‘Oops’

fimbraie are supposed to catch the eggs from the ovaries when they are released

--------------------------------------------------

oMg it’s as bad as living beside an airport if not worse

was referring to the planes flying around during the air race

No comments: